The Free News Press
Crosswords Sudoku and Comics
Entertainment

Billy Joel Calls Unauthorized Biopic Legally and Professionally Misguided

The film, titled Billy and Me, will be told through the perspective of Joel's first manager, Irwin Mazur, who discovered him in 1966.

At Zeppelin Field a side view of forty five year old American music legend Billy Joel entertains troops with a two hour twenty minute free USO Concert.  This was Joel's first USO performance since doing two Philippine shows in 1991.
At Zeppelin Field a side view of forty five year …      Billy Joel    U.S. Department of Defense photo by SRA Andrew J. Rice / Wikimedia Commons (Public domain)
By Free News Press Editorial Team
Published May 20, 2026 at 1:02 AM PDT

A biopic about the early life of Billy Joel is moving forward without the musician's blessing, and his representatives are making clear that the production does not have his support.

According to Rolling Stone, a spokesperson for Joel issued a direct statement about the project. "Since 2021, the parties involved have been officially notified that they do not possess Billy Joel's life rights and will not be able to secure the music rights required for this project," the rep said. "Billy Joel has not authorized or supported this project in any capacity, and any attempt to move forward without it would be both legally and professionally misguided."

The film is titled Billy and Me and will be directed by John Ottman, who previously served as lead editor on the Michael Jackson biopic Michael, released earlier this year. According to Variety, the film will focus on Joel's formative years before his rise to fame in the 1970s, tracing the relationships and experiences that shaped his career before the world knew his name.

Because Joel himself is not involved, the film will be told from the perspective of Irwin Mazur, Joel's first manager. Mazur discovered Joel in 1966 and officially signed him as a client in 1970. Under Mazur's guidance, Joel went on to secure a recording contract with Columbia Records in 1972. The production has secured Mazur's exclusive life rights for the project.

Jon Small, Joel's longtime friend and drummer who is also set to serve as a consultant, co-executive producer, and second unit director, offered his support for the film. "This is the most honest, heartfelt, and authentic portrayal of Billy's early life and rise to becoming one of the greatest musical voices of our time," Small said. "Billy & Me is grounded in truth, shaped with care, and built with the insight of people who genuinely know and love Billy," he continued. "Too often, stories about artists get lost in exaggeration or mythmaking. Billy & Me reflects the real history with integrity and respect. I first met Billy when he was 16 years old, and after reading the script, I felt the filmmakers truly understood who he was before the world knew his name."

Filmmaker Adam Ripp is writing the screenplay, and the project will be produced under his ArtPhyl Pictures company. Casting is currently underway, with production scheduled to begin in Fall 2026. The film will shoot in Canada and New York.

The tension between Joel's camp and the filmmakers has been building for years. His representatives say they have been sending notices to the parties involved since 2021, making clear the legal obstacles the project faces in moving forward without Joel's cooperation, particularly on the question of music rights.

Billy Joel Plays the Piano at Shea Stadium during his "Last Play At Shea" Concert in 2008. This was the last concert held at Shea Stadium before being replaced by Citi Field.
Billy Joel Plays the Piano at Shea Stadium during…      Billy Joel    Adam Weissman / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 4.0)