Crosswords Sudoku and Comics
Sports

Promoter Eddie Hearn Says Fury-Joshua Fight Contract Is Signed and Cannot Be Stopped

Hearn told DAZN the contract is finalized but a location dispute between the United Kingdom and the United States remains unresolved.

Andy Ruiz Jr. speaks at the press conference announcing his rematch with Anthony Joshua for the Heavyweight Championship of the World. The event was held on September 5, 2019, in the home of the original Bowery Bank in Lower Manhattan.
Andy Ruiz Jr. speaks at the press conference anno…      Anthony Joshua    JazzyJoeyD / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 4.0)
By Free News Press Editorial Team
Published August 23, 2026 at 1:38 AM PDT

Promoter Eddie Hearn said Saturday that the proposed fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua will go ahead, pushing back against comments Fury made a day earlier suggesting the bout was unlikely to happen, according to BBC Sport.

"We've signed the contract, we're waiting for a date. You saw Tyson Fury shouting and screaming ... there's nothing to shout and scream about, the fight's done," Hearn told DAZN.

Hearn, who represents Joshua, was firm on the contract's standing. "The fight's signed. No-one can pull out of the fight. You can't just pull out of a contract," he said. "There's no suggestion that the fight's not happening, no-one can stop this fight from happening. The only way it can stop from happening is if they actually breach the contract."

The fight had been expected to take place in November and would rank among the biggest matches in British boxing history. Both fighters hold separate contracts with Saudi organizers Sela. The location of the fight remains unsettled. Joshua and Hearn have signed a contract to stage the bout in the United Kingdom, while Sela is pushing for a move to the United States. New York's Madison Square Garden is understood to be Sela's preference, partly so the fight, which will be broadcast on Netflix, can reach American audiences.

Hearn made clear where he and Joshua stand on that question. "We know everybody and his dog involved in the fight wants to do the fight in America. We don't," he said. "We've told Sela and the team 'if you want to do it in America, these are the terms that we can move forward with. But we'd rather not please'."

No date has been announced. The location dispute between the Joshua camp and Sela appears to be the remaining obstacle before the fight can be formally confirmed.

Anthony Joshua's Gold Postbox, Watford
Anthony Joshua's Gold Postbox, Watford      Anthony Joshua    David Anstiss / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 2.0)