Crosswords Sudoku and Comics
News

Judge Denies Karmelo Anthony New Trial After Track Meet Murder Conviction

Retired Judge Michael Chitty ruled Saturday that Anthony's claims about a private agreement between trial attorneys did not warrant overturning his 35-year sentence.

Collin County was formed in 1846 and its only town, Buckner, was automatically selected as the county seat. To comply with state law, an election was held to relocate the county seat to the center of the county. Only eleven people participated due to inclement weather, and when the vote was tallied
Collin County was formed in 1846 and its only tow…      Collin County Courthouse Texas    Nicolas Henderson from Coppell, Texas / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY 2.0)
By Free News Press Editorial Team
Published August 23, 2026 at 2:04 AM PDT

A Texas judge denied Karmelo Anthony's request for a new trial Saturday, leaving in place the 35-year prison sentence he received after being convicted of murdering a fellow student at a high school track meet in April 2025.

Retired Kaufman County District Judge Michael Chitty issued the ruling after a two-day hearing that stretched into Friday evening. Anthony, now 19, was convicted in June by a Collin County jury that rejected his self-defense claim and found he intentionally stabbed 17-year-old Austin Metcalf during a track meet in Frisco, Texas.

"Upon reviewing the motion, the record, the evidence and argument, the briefs, and the relevant case law, the Court has determined the motion should be denied," Chitty wrote in his order.

Anthony's new legal team had argued that a private agreement between trial attorneys, described as a "gentleman's agreement," prevented Anthony from testifying in his own defense. The agreement had been made by both sides to keep certain background information about both Anthony and Metcalf out of the trial. Defense attorneys claimed Anthony was "coerced" into waiving his right to testify because prosecutors threatened to use damaging character evidence if he took the stand, something that the agreement was supposed to have limited.

According to ABC News, trial attorney Toby Shook testified that prosecutors "put them in a corner," saying the plan had been for Anthony to testify, but that the agreement created complications that ultimately led to him not taking the stand.

Anthony's attorneys also argued that courtroom access restrictions imposed by Collin County Judge John Roach denied Anthony a fair public trial.

Collin County District Attorney Greg Willis said in a statement Saturday that his office respected the outcome. "We respect, and expected, the court's decision denying the motion for a new trial," Willis said. "The jury's guilty verdict stands, and we remain confident in the process. Every defendant has the right to appeal, and our thoughts and prayers remain with the Metcalf family in the painful wake of last week's hearing."

Appellate attorney Russell Wilson said Anthony's team would continue fighting. "We respectfully disagree with the ruling and remain firmly committed to protecting our client's rights," Wilson said. "We believe the issues raised in our motion are substantial and deserve meaningful appellate review. The denial of our motion does not end this case. We will continue the appeal in the Fifth Court of Appeals and pursue every legal remedy available to our client."

Anthony did not testify during his original trial. The jury convicted him after three hours of deliberation and sentenced him following several additional hours.

The case now moves to the Fifth Court of Appeals.

The Collin County Courthouse in McKinney, Texas, United States.
The Collin County Courthouse in McKinney, Texas, …      Collin County Courthouse Texas    Larry D. Moore / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY 4.0)