Max Verstappen threatened to quit Formula 1 at the end of this season if planned changes to the engine regulations for next year are blocked. The threat came during the Canadian Grand Prix weekend as talks among manufacturers continued without a resolution.
According to BBC Sport, governing body the FIA said two weeks ago that an agreement had been reached in principle to changes that would reduce the need for energy management with the new engines introduced this year. Opposition has since emerged in subsequent talks, and there is currently not enough support for the move to be passed under F1's governance protocols.
"If it stays like this, it's going to be a long year next year, which I don't want," Verstappen said. "It's just mentally not doable for me to stay like this. It's really not."
Drivers have been complaining this year about the way the new engines, which have a nominal 50-50 split between internal combustion and electrical energy, have reduced their ability to drive on the limit at all times. The engines are energy starved, requiring techniques to recover energy even on qualifying laps.
One change has already been made to address the issue. The latest proposal would shift the energy split from the current approximately 54-46 in favor of the internal combustion engine to a 60-40 ratio. That change would further reduce the need for energy management, particularly in qualifying.
On Thursday, Verstappen said the planned changes would return racing almost back to normal and hinted he would stay in the sport if they were approved. "It will make the product better, so that means that I'm happier," he said. "And that's what I want. To be able to continue and perform well. For me, I'm happy where I am. I see the team really progressing. And that's also very exciting to see."
Verstappen also confirmed that if he did decide to stop, he would not come back. "There's a lot of other fun things out there," he said.
Mercedes and Red Bull are in favor of the change. Audi has raised concerns about cost. Ferrari is said to be concerned about losing out on extra development opportunities it expects to be permitted after this race under F1's rules.
After Saturday's qualifying session in Canada, Verstappen offered a cautiously optimistic note. "Let's stay on the positive side - we're still, I think, looking towards making those changes," he said. "Of course some people at the moment that maybe have a bit of an advantage will try to be difficult about it, but if the FIA is strong, and also from the F1 side, they just need to do it."
Talks are still ongoing over the Canadian Grand Prix weekend, and there is still optimism that enough opposing manufacturers can be persuaded to change their minds for the vote to pass.
