Crosswords Sudoku and Comics
News

Harry and Meghan Return to UK After Six Years in California

The couple plans to move to a private, non-royal residence outside London later this month, with their children set to begin school in the UK in September.

U.S. actress Meghan Markle and her mother Doria Ragland arrived at their pre-wedding accommodation in Cliveden House Hotel on Friday (May 18) on the eve of her marriage to Prince Harry.
Britain's Prince Harry and elder brother, Prince William, left Windsor Castle on Friday (May 18) to greet royal fa
U.S. actress Meghan Markle and her mother Doria R…      Prince Harry Meghan    Voice of America / Wikimedia Commons (Public domain)
By Free News Press Editorial Team
Published August 20, 2026 at 2:11 PM PDT

Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, plan to relocate from the United States to the United Kingdom later this month, ending more than six years of living in California. The couple will move to a private, non-royal residence outside London, according to reporting from the BBC.

British Prime Minister Andy Burnham addressed the move at a public appearance, saying security arrangements for the couple are a private matter. "It's a matter for Harry and for Meghan, and we wish them well in the move that they are making," Burnham said.

The Home Office confirmed that decisions on security for royals are handled by the Royal and VIP Executive Committee, known as Ravec, an independent body overseen by the Home Office. The prime minister has no direct role in those decisions. The Home Office stated that the UK's protective security system was rigorous and proportionate, but added that it is longstanding policy not to provide detailed information on security arrangements, as doing so could compromise their effectiveness.

Security has been a persistent source of tension for Harry and Meghan since they stepped back from their royal duties in early 2020. Last year, Prince Harry lost a legal challenge in which he sought to overturn a decision that had downgraded his security following his move to the US. At the time, he told the BBC that he "can't see a world" in which he would bring his family to the UK due to the downgrading of his protection.

Because previous security arrangements were based on the couple not living permanently in the UK, Ravec will need to make a new determination now that they are returning. There is no indication that Harry and Meghan plan to resume full-time working royal duties, which could affect what level of protection they qualify for. If the couple does not receive taxpayer-funded security, Harry would need to supplement any provided protection with private resources.

In the US, the Sussexes have employed a private security team. When asked by the BBC whether that team would be relocating to the UK with them, the couple offered no comment.

Their children, Prince Archie, seven, and Princess Lilibet, five, are expected to begin school in the UK next month. The specific school and the location of the family's new residence have not been disclosed.

Harry's military service in Afghanistan remains a factor in any security assessment. His close ties to King Charles also continue to be relevant, even as the nature of the couple's relationship with the broader royal institution remains unsettled.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, The Duke & Duchess of Sussex, visit District Six Museum in Cape Town, South Africa.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, The Duke & Du…      Prince Harry Meghan    eNCA on YouTube / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY 3.0)